Life wihout a job




It's been four months since I lost my job. Understandably, I went through an emotional roller coaster: first I felt really strong and detached; then when the reality of the situation sank in, I felt almost desperate as if the world had crumbled around me; then I felt angry; anger turned into sadness and sadness into resignation. A week later - yes, (not) so long it took me to come through the other end of the tunnel, I started feeling well again. My confidence and optimism were back in full swing. Now, I feel good. I really do. 

Over the last four months I was able to go for a bunch of interviews, mainly thanks to my excellent recruiter and to my wide network of people. Most interviews have had either a positive or successful outcome. Months of networking and a relentless search for suitable jobs all over the planet have finally paid off. As a result, on Monday I will start a new job, a new exciting adventure. 

So indeed, I have finally come out of the tunnel. And now, standing under the warm sun on the eve of a new era, I can see the bright sides of having been unemployed for a while. Firstly, I got to wake up every morning without feeling the pressure of the ticking clock. I was able to dedicate time to myself. I went for long morning walks with friends. I got to enjoy more time at home. I got to spend quality time with my children. I have been able to dedicate time to my cooking, skiing, writing and my personal hobbies. 

Losing my job has made me realise what I'd always known: we work for living, we are not meant to live for working. Hence, work is only a part of the big jigsaw that is our life. A big part, yet still only a part. Of course, I will be working and pursuing my career once again. A new career, in a different sector, with new people – a chance to do something different and not for the first time. But this is not the point. The point is that I feel fulfilled regardless. " I AM", I am even without a job title that nowadays seems to go before us, like a badge on a sherif's jacket. I don't really need a badge, though – don’t get me wrong - it's nice to have one, of course. I AM. With or without a job. With or without a career. Acknowledging this means being stronger and better prepared for future challenges. 

So this is my message to all the people out there who right now, are unemployed and are struggling to see the light at the end of the tunnel – friends, acquaintances, strangers. Don’t give up. This is not the end. It’s the beginning of something new, perhaps even better. Certainly different. It’s an opportunity to steer your life to a different direction. Grab the steering wheel and enjoy the journey.

Good luck.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

US Roadtrip - Diario di Viaggio: Giorno 9